Past perfect and Past perfect continuous

Past perfect 

We use the past perfect simple to talk about what happened before a point in the past. It looks back from a point in the past to further in the past.
  • I hadn't known the bad news when I spoke to him.
  • I checked with the supplier and they still hadn't received the contract.
  • She had already told him before I got a chance to give him my version.
  • The company has started the year well but was badly hit by the postal strike.
The past perfect simple is often used when we report what people had said/thought/believed.
  • He told me they had already paid the bill.
  • He said he believed that John had moved to Italy.
  • I thought we had already decided on a name for this product.
Past perfect continuous 

We use the past perfect continuous to look back at a situation in progress.
  • It was a good time to invest. Inflation had been falling for several months.
  • Before I changed jobs, I had been working on a plan to reduce production costs.
  • We had been thinking about buying a new house but then we decided to stay here.
We use it to say what had been happening before something else happened.
  • It had been snowing for a while before we left.
  • We had been playing tennis for only a few minutes when it started raining.
  • He was out of breath when he arrived because he had been running.
We use it when reporting things said in the past.
  • She said she had been trying to call me all day.
  • They said they had been shopping.
  • I told you I had been looking for some new clothes.
===============================
Keywords : english grammar,english vocabulary,english dictionary,english games,english banana,english premier league,english to spanish,english songs,Free English Courses - Video/Audio English Courses,English Courses in London,Develop Your English ,Free interactive English language courses,Beginners English Course,english courses,english courses online,college english courses,spoken english courses,english courses harvard,english courses in high school,learn english,rosetta stone,english grammar courses

Leave a Reply

Subscribe to Posts | Subscribe to Comments

- Copyright © Courses4Learning - Skyblue - Powered by Blogger - Designed by Younes Hajjaji -